The Doe Thornburg Scholarship
International Women Associates (IWA) was founded by Doe Thornburg, OBE (Order of the British Empire), and has as its mission “to promote understanding and cooperation among Chicago-area women of all nations.” IWA unites women dedicated to the pursuit of global understanding and universal human rights, especially for women and girls. IWA is a volunteer managed 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. More information about IWA can be found on its website: www.iwachicago.org
In keeping with IWA’s vision to create a more just and peaceful world through mutual respect and understanding, IWA offers a scholarship program to help support an undergraduate who is studying abroad. Scholarships are awarded annually on a best efforts basis to each IWA Partner Institution*.
Scholarship value: US $1,000.00 (applicable only to tuition and course-related expenses).
• Female student who is a US citizen or US permanent resident;
• Undergraduate degree-seeking student attending an IWA Partner Institution* and studying abroad for at least a semester;
• Student accepted in a university-affiliated study abroad program;
• Minimum GPA of 3.0.
IWA Board Members and the Scholarship Selection Committee and their family members are not eligible.
• Instructions and an application form are available on www.iwachicago.org/philanthropy/doescholarship
• Application, along with resume, must be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com by 5:00 pm on May 1, 2017.
• A recommendation letter from a professor or advisor must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm on May 1, 2017.
• Applicant may be contacted for an interview.
The winning applicant will be required to share with the IWA, in verbal or written form, at an IWA Annual Meeting or other suitable occasion, her “study abroad experience.” Upon graduation, she will receive a one-year membership to IWA. She will be required to sign a contract which defines her obligations. Click Here to view a copy of the contract.
Click on the links below for the summary and application.
Scholarship Award Criteria:
The applicant should identify her experiences, skills and personal goals which are in keeping with IWA’s vision of global understanding and include information about:
• Academic achievements;
• Leadership recognition;
• Community service, extra-curricular activities, family responsibilities;
• Financial need priority.
Questions and comments to: email@example.com. Only emails will be accepted.
* IWA Partner Institutions: Northwestern University, Columbia College, and University of Illinoisat Chicago.